Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Meditating on God's Word Everyday

I have been super, super busy over these past few days (thus why there hasn't been a blog post in a week).  It's so easy to get overwhelmed with life and caught up in the business of it all.  I have found over and over again that in the practical, everyday ins-and-outs of life it is so easy to forget God.  Not deny His existence, but just to live...well...without Him.  To be so caught up with the things of this earth that I forget Who He is. I forget to love Him.  I sometimes stress and worry over things because my eyes are turned down to my problems and not upward to Him.

I bet you've felt this way before too.  It's so easy to slip into this trap.  So easy to forget God.

The Lord has been showing me over these past few days the importance of meditating on God's Word.  It is so vital if we desire to live lives that are on fire for the Lord that we stay our minds on Him.  Our minds need to be refocused on things above, not on things on the earth (Colossians 4:1-4).

Each morning as I read my Bible, I ask the Lord for a verse to meditate on.

When I meditate on Scripture as I go about my daily tasks, I find the day so much more rewarding and fulfilling than if I had concentrated my attention completely on my to-do list.

Meditating on God's Word gives me life!


But that's exactly what God said it would.  Proverbs 4:20-22 says,  "My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh."

I have truly found that to be true.  There are so many gems--verses that hold such wonderful meaning and promise--that wee do not discover because we read over them in a hurried manner, say "Oh, that was a really good verse," and then move on. I know I have done that so many times.  But when I have taken the time to write down a verse and consider what it means, I am blessed beyond measure. Psalm 119:93 says,  "I will never forget Your precepts, For by them You have given me life."

But how do we meditate on God's Word?


  • Begin by picking a verse or passage of Scripture to meditate on.  As you read your Bible in the morning, ask God to give you a verse.  He will.
  • Say it out loud many times as you go about your work. There is something so powerful about speaking the Word aloud.
  • Think about what it means on the surface. What does it say? In what situations does it apply?
  • Dig deep and consider the meaning of each word.  What role does each word play in the sentence?  What are the implications of each word?
  • Apply it to your own life.  What does it mean for you? What does it actually look like lived out in real life?
I encourage you to begin today.   You can start right now!  Here's a beautiful verse to meditate on as you go about your work:

"You will keep him in perfect peace,Whose mind is stayed on You,Because he trusts in You."
~Isaiah 26:3

1 comment :

  1. Amen! I'm also reminded of Joshua 1:8 "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

    ReplyDelete