Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Revival of the Word

"I am afflicted very much;
Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word."
~Psalm 119:107

The weight of this world drags us down. Living in the flesh is hard. We are afflicted from every side. Pressed, crushed; without Jesus Christ, that is. You see as it says in 2 Corinthians 4:8,9, “We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.”

 In this world, we will be troubled, as Jesus said, but He left us with peace. How do we attain this life-giving peace? Isaiah 26:3 reveals the answer: “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.”

How can we stay our mind on the Lord Jesus Christ? By meditating on who He is, as He has revealed Himself through His Word. By thinking on verses such as Isaiah 12:2, which says, “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.” We have no reason to fear, because God is our strength.

 Meditating on this and thinking about this makes our fears suddenly seem smaller, our worries not as important, and our problems insignificant. Why? Because our God is so much bigger than these things! Sometimes we need to take a moment and “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). 

As you spend time meditating and reading the Word of God, you will find one thing is true. It gives you life. It breathes purpose into your longing soul. It reminds you of the One who loves you more than life. David agrees in verse 93, “I will never forget Your precepts, for by them You have given me life.”

 Jesus Himself confirms this in John 6:63, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” I love what Martin Luther said: “The soul can do without everything except the word of God, without which none at all of its wants are provided for.”

 The only way you can truly know the life-giving power of the Word for yourself is to experience it. Read it. Meditate on it. And watch as the peace of God fills your heart and mind; watch as its words breathe life into your affliction and revive you.

No comments :

Post a Comment