Friday, March 27, 2015

The Unexplored Depths of God's Word

"When I get a passage of scripture to meditate upon, I like, if I can, to see its drift; then I like to examine its various parts, and see if I can understand each separate clause; and then I want to go back again, and see what one clause has to do with another…The more you read the Bible, and the more you meditate upon it, the more you will be astonished with it. 

He who is but a casual reader of the Bible, does not know the height, the depth, the length, and breadth of the mighty meanings contained in its pages. There are certain times when I discover a new vein of thought, and I put my hand to my head and say in astonishment, 'Oh, it is wonderful I never saw this before in the Scriptures.' 

You will find the Scriptures enlarge as you enter them; the more you study them the less you will appear to know of them, for they widen out as we approach them. Especially will you find this the case with the typical parts of God’s Word. Most of the historical books were intended to be types either of dispensations, or experiences, or offices of Jesus Christ. 

Study the Bible with this as a key, and you will not blame Herbert when he calls it 'not only the book of God, but the God of books.'” ~C.H. Spurgeon

There are so many things that we have yet to learn from the Scriptures. There are so many depths that we have yet to discover. Who will join me in delving into the deepest part of God's Word and extracting the pearls that lie waiting for discovery?

No comments :

Post a Comment