Thursday, April 23, 2015

ACTS Prayer Model

Often, when we pray, we tend to concentrate on our requests.  Yet, that is only one of the elements of a prayer.  And comparatively, this is one of the least important parts.  We’re focusing on the wrong things when we approach the throne of grace.  So, to remedy this problem, some smart person developed an outline for prayer called ACTS.  This ACTS model is a helpful reminder and outline for any prayer. 

Let’s take a deeper look.  Each letter stands for a part of our prayer:

Adoration:  This is worship.  As we begin our prayer, it is proper to come before God with our praise and worship.  This is where we express our love for Him and our admiration for all that He is.

Example:  Lord Jesus, I come before You right now with complete adoration.  Indeed, Your greatness is so overwhelming.  Dear Father, You are holy and true.  Hallowed be Your name.  I praise You for Your great mercies toward me which are new every morning.  Great is Your faithfulness, O Lord....

Confession:  After we’ve expressed all that God is, we have an opportunity to confess all that we are not.  When compared with God’s grandeur, we’re just filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).  This fact should cause us great sorrow.  However, if we confess our sins, God is faithful to forgive!  1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  Confession is the time to do just that.  Here we share with God the ways that we have fallen short and the things we have said and done that have been displeasing to Him.  In Psalm 32:5, David shows God that “I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity.”  Let us follow the example of this mighty man of God during our time of confession.

Example: Lord Jesus, in light of Your supreme holiness, I confess that I have missed the mark and fallen short.  Just this morning, my interactions with ____ reflected my prideful spirit.  I tore ____ down instead of building her up.  I confess that that my words were displeasing to You and wrong, Lord Jesus.  I also confess....

Note:  Although it may be a bit tricky, avoid slipping into requests here.  It is easy to start asking the Lord for grace and His Spirit so that you do not offend another with your words, but save that for later.  :)

Thanksgiving:  This one is quite obvious.  Now is the time to “magnify Him with thanksgiving” (Psalm 69:30).  God grants us so many blessings that often go un-thanked.  Indeed, every good gift is from above (James 1:17).  Yet how quick we are to imitate the nine lepers in the New Testament who, when healed by Jesus, did not return to thank Him.  We have so many things to thank God for.  Indeed, the bounds are endless!  Thank God for His love, His faithfulness, His patience and a million other things. Express gratitude for what He’s doing in your life. Thank Jesus for dying on the cross for you.

Example:  Dear Jesus, I thank You for paying the penalty for my every sins.  Thank You for wiping my transgressions off the face of the earth, as far as the east is from the west.  And thank You for not leaving me there, but for filling me with Your very life!  For giving me Your Holy Spirit to enable me to become like You.  Thank You Lord Jesus for providing me with the “simple” things like food and clothing and a roof over my head.  I say simple, but this is an amazing privilege, one many in this world do not enjoy.  Thank You Lord!....

Supplication:  Finally, “in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:-7).  This is the time that we open up our hearts before the Lord and share with Him the burdens and requests of our heart.  This is where we “pray for one another, that you may be healed.” For, “the prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working” (James 5:16).  Now is the time to be “making supplication for all the saints” (Ephesians 6:18).

Example:  Lord Jesus, I come before You now, recognizing that You have worked so abundantly in my life and will continue to work.  I think specifically of my friend _____.  I know that she is going through some hard times right now and I pray that You would comfort her with Your Spirit.  Grant her peace that far surpasses all understanding.  Keep the devil far from her.  May I also be spiritually alert and continually on guard against the attacks of the evil one....

If you tend to focus supremely on supplications or you find your prayers lack organization and tend to get distracted, I encourage you to try out this prayer method.  Remember though that the ACTS model is just a guide not a rigid formula that you need to follow.  If you slip some adoration into your supplication “part,” that’s completely fine.  This is just an outline to assist you as you boldly approach the throne of grace.


God longs for you to share your heart with Him.  Continue in prayer throughout the day—whether using this method or just speaking to Him—and He will greatly reward your journey.

No comments :

Post a Comment