Friday, June 5, 2015

Memorizing by Studying

An idea that I’ve repeated in previous posts is how, when memorizing, we must think about the passage we are memorizing. If it’s just empty words, than it won’t stick in our minds.  So, in order to really memorize and understand a passage, we must study it.

Believe it or not, studying it is a great assistance to help aid you as you memorize.  Recently, I’ve been memorizing John 1-6.  As I study the passage and it becomes more familiar, I have found that it’s easier to memorize.  Try it for yourself!  Here’s some suggestions to get you started:

Roadmap your verse or passage.  What does it say?  What is the logical sequence of the passage.  Ask questions.  What does the passage teach you about God?  What does it teach you about the fallen state of man, or God’s role in mankind?  What does it teach you about how you might live.

Write down what you learn.  Take notes.   Note the main themes and observe the flow of the argument.  How do the author’s word choices add to his message?

Know the “why” of the passage.  It’s easier to be motivated if you know why you’re learning. When I memorize a book of the Bible, I know I’ll remember the passages I have a reason for learning, so I assign a meaning to each paragraph as I come to it. Will it help me not to worry? Will it teach me a new truth about God?  If you are only memorizing a verse or two, have a mission statement: why are you memorizing this?

Also consider reading a commentary or listening to a sermon on the passage.  When you better understand the passage, you will be able to better memorize it.  Not only that, but the passage will gain so much more meaning to you when you understand more of what it means.

As you study, mark it up. Highlight key words.  Mark the use of God’s name, any locations mentioned, and other key words.  Study the meaning behind each.


When you thoroughly study a passage,  you will find that not only to you understand it better, but you are more familiar with the passage and it is easy to finish the memorizing from there.  And, in so doing, you have gained so many precious treasures from a deeper knowledge of God’s Word.  May God bless your studying!

No comments :

Post a Comment