Monday, December 28, 2015

Seek Him First

I have prayed much about what the Lord would have me to write as we focus our thoughts on New Year's goals and resolutions, and He has led me not to say my own words, but rather to speak His Words.  Do not close this article or take it lightly.  Pause for a moment and allow your heart to prepare itself to read these words.  They are living and active and have the power to change your life this next year, if you will take them seriously and meditate on what they say, applying it to your life. 

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” ~Matthew 6:33

Our New Year’s resolutions are to be all about.  I have found in my own life that when I seek His kingdom (the spread of the gospel) and God Himself (through His Word and prayer) all other things simply fall into place.

“But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.” ~Philippians 3:7-11

Take out your list of goals for the next year.  Ask yourself honestly if you are counting all things loss for the sake of knowing Christ.  Is He your number one priority?  If He isn’t, I can assure you through my own experience that 2016 will be meaningless and joyless.  We must seek Him, for “in His presence is fullness of joy and at His right hand are pleasures forevermore” (Psalm 16:11).

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” ~Galatians 2:20

Read this one over a few times.  Is it true of your life?  Do you live as if you were dead and He only alive?  Allow the Scriptures to pierce your heart and change your life.

I close with a prayer from Ephesians 3:14-21. Please, do not close the article yet.  Read to the very end.  I can promise that even as these words are spoken over you right now, they will bless you. Remember Who it is you serve. And put Him first in all things.

 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,  from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;

that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”

No comments :

Post a Comment