Monday, February 16, 2015

The Devil's Attack on Scripture

"If I were the devil, one of my first aims would be to stop folk from digging into the Bible. Knowing that it is the Word of God, teaching people to know and love and serve the God of the Word, I should do all I could to surround it with the spiritual equivalent of pits, thorn hedges and traps, to frighten people off. With smug conceit, no doubt, as if receiving a compliment, I should acknowledge that wise old Jonathan Edwards (1703- 1758) had me absolutely pegged when he wrote:
'The devil never would attempt to beget in persons a regard to that divine word which God has given to be the great and standing rule. . . . Would the spirit of error, in order to deceive men, beget in them a high opinion of the infallible rule, and incline them to think much of it, and be very conversant with it? . . . The devil has ever shown a mortal spite and hatred towards that holy book the Bible: he has done all in his power to extinguish that light. . . . He is engaged against the Bible, and hates every word in it.'

I should labor every day to prove Edwards’s words true.

How? Well, I should try to distract all clergy from preaching and teaching the Bible, and spread the feeling that to study this ancient book directly is a burdensome extra that modern Christians can forgo without loss. I should broadcast doubts about the truth and relevance and good sense and straightforwardness of the Bible, and if any still insisted on reading it I should lure them into assuming that the benefit of the practice lies in the noble and tranquil feelings evoked by it rather than in noting what Scripture actually says. At all costs I should want to keep them from using their minds in a disciplined way to get the measure of its message." ~J.I. Packard, Knowing Scripture


The devil is trying to attack God's Word. We must take a stand against it.  He has four general methods of warfare against the Bible:
1) Doubt
2) Destruction
3) Distraction
4) Distortion

We cannot stand back and allow our Sword to be battered to pieces.  This is the Word that brings life!  We cannot let it die.

Take a stand for truth today.  Guard against the devil's work against the Word in your own life.  And in the lives of those around you.  God's Word is truth!  Let us never doubt.  Let us take a stand for the truth.

No comments :

Post a Comment