Friday, September 18, 2015

Why Memorize Scripture -- Testimonies

I have always found it helpful to hear testimonies from other believers who have walked the road before me in this memorization journey. A testimony has great power, especially when we are discouraged. So that is what I would like to do now.

This is the story from a young lady about how she first began memorizing: 

“I grew up in a Christian home, so my parents always had me memorizing Scripture from a young age. In middle school, I started Awanas, which is a youth Bible program that involves much memorization. However, the thing that prompted me to start memorizing of my own initiative — not because my parents or youth leaders told me to — was because of my youth pastor's testimony. He talked about how he had memorized Philippians and how now, whenever he counsels people, he always turns to Philippians because he knows it so well and it's on the forefront of his mind. That story made a huge impact on me — I wanted to know the Bible like that and have that help for witnessing to others or even when battling temptations personally.”

Another daughter of the King shares how she and her sister have been encouraged through Scripture memory: 

“For me personally, it's encouraging to know Scripture because my sister and I can talk about things in the bible and verses we've learned and encourage each other or help each other with questions we have.”

Emilie shares why she believes we should memorize Scripture: 

“Memorizing Scripture will make God's word more available to you - you may not always have a Bible with you when you're at that party and someone asks you about what you believe in or you just need a verse to remind you of something. Constantly reading and rereading Scripture to memorize it will make you mull over it more, and certain words and phrases you only skimmed before may pop out at you. Most importantly (in my opinion), it allows the Holy Spirit to constantly have "weapons" available in your mind to battle the sin inside. Books can be taken away, but not your mind.”

One 23-year-old shares her struggles with memorization and how God has helped her overcome them: 

“Sometimes I get behind on reviewing verses; they just build up until I have so many to review that it is really discouraging to think about it. Because of this, there have been a couple times I took a really long ‘break’ from memorizing. But God is faithful and when He sees that the time is right He encourages me through other peoples' testimonies, through reading the Bible, through sermons, or other mediums to get back to memorizing. Lately He's been showing me a more practical side of memorization--being able to use promises of the Bible in praying for people--which has kept me motivated so that the review doesn't pile up.”

The same girl tells about her discovery while memorizing God’s Word: 

“People say that the more you memorize, the easier it becomes. I never realized the truth in that until I had been memorizing for a while. I was finishing up the book of James, and for about a week I was taking 50-minute long walks and memorizing as I walked. I was memorizing 12 verses at a time that way! That's when it hit me--when I first started memorizing, there's no way I would have been able to do that. So the more you practice the easier it really does get.”

Here’s an inspiring story of how memorization impacts our every decision: 

“The most significant time I can think of was when I was looking for guidance in making an important decision. I had already made a choice that I thought was in accordance with God's will, but this particular day I just felt very unsettled in that choice and felt very strongly that I had to fast and pray all that morning until I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what God's will was. So I went to a nearby park and spent all morning there, praying and thinking and writing and reading the Bible. At one point as I was writing out once again the pros and cons, a Bible verse that I had memorized a couple weeks before came to mind. I decided that when I was finished I would look it up and read the context, as it really seemed to have nothing to do with my situation. But when I did look it up and read in context, God was really able to speak to me through that passage, and I left the park around noon with a certainty about what choice I needed to make. And God was able to give that to me because of that verse I had memorized.”

Allison (A different one) offers these words of encouragement: 

“Stay strong! The benefits of memorization far outweigh those of relying on a paper Book. You will benefit immensely in your spiritual life, as well as benefitting others. Never give up on God. If you are having a difficult time, persevere. As you memorize, it becomes easier and easier as you get to know God's Word more deeply. Be it memorizing, reciting, studying, or simply reading, you will never regret a single moment spent in His Word.”

Finally, 

“Do not quit! It is easy to quit, but very hard to re-start. And Ecclesiastes 12:1 tells us to 'Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth...' If we wait until we're grown-ups, we'll only have less time, money, etc. And always do it to Christ's glory!! 'And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ' (Colossians 3:23-24).”

I pray that you have been inspired and encouraged today. I echo the words above, don’t give up! “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 15:58).

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing these testimonies! It's wonderful to be reminded why we should memorize Scripture! I have been blessed and encouraged by reading your blog! ~Kaitlyn R.

    ReplyDelete