Monday, August 17, 2015

How To Study A Passage

For many years in the past, I have spent time stuffing verses into my brain.  But I realized that I was know better off, because I didn't know what they said.  Of course, I could ramble them off at 125 miles an hour, but I did not really understand their meaning.  So this summer, as I memorize Scripture for the Bible Bee I take the time time to actually study what I memorize.  As a result, these verses which would have otherwise been empty words have come alive and overwhelm me with the treasures which they stored.  These gems were simply under the pages, waiting for me to excavate them.

So, you may be wondering, how does one study these verses?  There are various methods, but I will share the method I use and pray that it might encourage and equip you in your own personal journey.


I like to use a notebook to record my thoughts on paper.  Writing my observations down actually help them stick in my mind as well.  And I can always review the notes whenever I need to.


I write the passage reference down and begin by giving it a title.  What is the main subject of this passage?  The big picture?

After that, like to write down what passage it references (Note: this is something very specific to the Bible Bee, so I would not recommend this for your own personal memorization.  Instead, try writing down some key words.)




Context usually offers an even greater picture of reason behind the words in a specific passage.  Who wrote/spoke this?  Why?  Who were they talking/writing to?  When did they write/speak this?  What happened before?  After?  Note these things in your journal, and you will find your understanding of the passage deepening. 

Once I finish studying the context around my passage, I dig deep into its every word.  First, I look at what the passage says about God.  After all, Jesus is the WORD.  It's all about Him!  So what can we learn about Him in this passage?  

I call this section "God is..." and have a different section for "Jesus is..." and "The Holy Spirit is..." (as applicable).  This helps us gain a better understanding of who our Lord is.  The more we know about the Lord, the closer we will be drawn in a relationship with Him.

After this, I dig deep into the heart of the text.  What does it say?  What do we learn?  What is it actually saying?  What does it mean?  Oftentimes as I study the verse, I will consult different commentaries to glean from their wisdom as well.  My two favorite (online) resources are Bible Hub and Blue Letter Bible.

Along with this, I often search through different cross-references, comparing Scripture with Scripture.  This is like God's commentary, as another Scripture can add to and expound on the specific passage you are studying.


Finally, looking up the Greek or Hebrew words behind its English translation deepen our understanding of the word and its meaning.  For example, "Keep," in Greek, shamar, [the first one in the picture above] means to keep before your face, to protect, give heed, and guard, in addition to "obey" as we typically define it in this generation.  Looking up the Greek words assist greatly in the study of God's Word.


Finally, after we have observed the Scriptures and interpreted them, it is important for us to apply them to our lives.  Carefully examine the Scripture.  Often I have found that even when an application doesn't seem evident, if I dig hard enough, I can find one.  And that, is a true gem, my friends.

For example, in John 1:1-5 it may seem that there is nothing that we can personally apply to our lives.  However, as I studied it, I was challenged to take these concepts to heart:

  • Jesus had a hand in the creation of every living thing.  Does He have a hand in every event in your life?  Is He your source?
  • In Him is life.  Do you draw your life from Him?  Do you turn to Him for renewed vigor and hope?
  • His life is the light of men.  Is yours?  Does your life radiate with the light of Christ?  Do you turn hearts, minds, and eyes, to the light of the world through what you say and do?
  • He is light.  Do you turn to Him to illuminate your steps and your path? Do you look to Him for answers? Is He the guidepost of your life?  Do you allow Him to shine His light into the dark corners to purify your life? Is He your bright and morning star?
How much we can learn about how to live by digging a little deeper into the passage!

Now it's your turn.  What memorization project are you currently working on it?  Don't allow God's Word to become empty by simply shoving it roughly into your brain.  Rather, take the time to study it and really get to know its meaning.  And you, my beloved friend, will be rewarded.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Allison. =) I hope your studying is going well. See you in two months. ;)

    ReplyDelete