Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Soaking In the Word

"Some people like to read so many [Bible] chapters every day. I would not dissuade them from the practice, but I would rather lay my soul asoak in half a dozen verses all day than rinse my hand in several chapters. Oh, to be bathed in a text of Scripture, and to let it be sucked up in your very soul, till it saturates your heart!" ~Charles Haddon Spurgeon

"In reading the Bible, I advise you to chose detached passages, or even one verse a day, rather than whole chapters. Study every word; ponder and pray over it till you have got from it all the truth it contains." ~Stepping Heavenward


I have oftentimes had to remind myself that my goal is not simply to read through the Bible, but rather to learn from it.  Instead of merely reading over a good verse and simply remarking, "Oh, that is very good," let us pause our reading to dig deep into the meaning of that verse. Such precious gems await for the one who is willing to "asoak" himself in a passage of Scripture, as Spurgeon said.

As you read, remember the preciousness of meditating on one passage.  Saturate yourself in it, dive headlong into its words and allow it to completely transform your thinking.

"My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh" (Proverbs 4:22-24).

No comments :

Post a Comment