Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Antidote for Spiritual Dryness

Today, I want to discuss the power of the Word to bring revival; to bring dead things back to life. But first, some verses:

Psalm 119:25 My soul clings to the dust; revive me according to Your word.”
Psalm 119:37 Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, And revive me in Your way.”
Psalm 119:40 “Behold, I long for Your precepts; Revive me in Your righteousness.”
Psalm 119:50 “This is my comfort in my affliction, For Your word has given me life.”
Psalm 119:88 “Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, So that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.”
Psalm 119:93 I will never forget Your precepts, For by them You have given me life.”
Psalm 119:107 I am afflicted very much; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word.”
Psalm 119:149 Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness; O Lord, revive me according to Your justice.”
Psalm 119:154 Plead my cause and redeem me; Revive me according to Your word.”
Psalm 119:156 “Great are Your tender mercies, O Lord; Revive me according to Your judgments.”
Psalm 119:159 Consider how I love Your precepts; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your lovingkindness.”

Sometimes, like David, we fall into “dry spots” in our walk with God.  We feel spiritually dead.  We need revival, as David did.

But where do we find that revival and new life?  Where can we find rejuvenation?  How do we get out of this feeling of being lukewarm?

According to these verses in Psalms 119, spiritual revival comes from the Word of God.  By reading the Word of God and allowing its life-giving waters to soak into the desert of our souls, we will be “revived” and strengthened spiritually.

Remember the lukewarm church Jesus warned in Revelation 3?  As He spoke to them, He gave this invitation: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me” (vs. 20).  Did you hear that?  We must invite Him in, and dine with Him. This is the solution to being rid of our lukewarm spirit.  As we sit with Jesus, as we allow Him to enter our lives through His Word and His Holy Spirit, He will breathe new life into our souls.  But first, we must be obedient, and open our hearts and our Bibles.

Additionally, the story of the dead bones coming to life, reminds us of the power of the very words of God.  Take a look:

“Again He said to me, ‘Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, “O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! Thus says the Lord God to these bones: ‘Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live” (Ezekiel 37:4-5).

What did the bones need to do in order to receive life?  Hear God’s Words.  And as they did that?  His breath entered into them.  I believe it is the same for us today.  As we read God’s Word and His life-giving breath enters our minds, it will penetrate our hearts and revive our souls.

So I encourage you, if you are in a “dry spot” spiritually, set aside some time to really read His Word.  But this can’t just be a passive reading process.  Unless you are actively pursuing and studying the Scriptures, then its words will wash right over you.  We must actually dine with the Lord. This means stopping all else and spending one and one time with Him through the Word.  This means communing with Him. This means making an effort to know Him as He has revealed Himself through the Word.  We must hear the Word of God, as the dry bones did. The Hebrew word used for “hear” implies hearing with attention or interest, giving heed, consenting, but also to obey and be obedient to. These things don’t happen if we are just passively reading the Word. Rather, we must actively seek out and listen to these words of life.

Today, I encourage you to experience the revival that comes from the Word. Drink of its sparkling fountains.  And let God breathe new life into you.

No comments :

Post a Comment