Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Share it!

So, now you've memorized a bunch of verses, what do you do with them? I’d like to share one idea with you today.

You can share it with others. As Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” As we let the Word of Christ dwell in us, it should come out of us as we use to teach and admonish, to encourage and bless.

Sometimes you can use it to remind a sibling or friend of the right thing to do. When I hear a young one treating a sibling unfairly, I will often quote Matthew 7:12: “Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” If someone says something discouraging, James 3:10 sometimes spills off of my lips: “Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.”

And again, when I am in conversations with friends, they will ask a question that is best answered with a Scripture. Just recently, a young lady asked why I chose to be different from the rest of the world, and why I thought that was a good thing. I quoted 2 Corinthians 6:16-18, which says, “And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: ‘I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.’ Therefore ‘Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you.’ ‘I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.’”

But a chance to use your memorized passages doesn’t always pop up during your conversations. Sometimes, you have to bring it up. I find it helpful to ask others what they think of a verse, and then quote it to them. Or, I’ll ask my friends what the Lord has been teaching them. This is usually followed by the same question directed at me, so I have a chance to share the verse/passage I have memorized and share how God has been using it in my life. It is a great way to stir others up to love and good works (Hebrews 10:24) without making them feel uncomfortable.

Another great way to share it is through written form. You could include it at the end of your emails. Or include it in your letters to others. This is a great way to encourage others and share what you have learned, not to mention a great way to review your passages. :)

The more you share it, the more you can review it. The more you speak it, the more it is able to work in the lives of others. The more you use it, the more it will fill your own mind, and the more chances you have to meditate on it. The more you share it, the more opportunities the Holy Spirit will have to use it in His transforming work.


No comments :

Post a Comment