Friday, September 25, 2015

"Seek My Face"

"Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice!
Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
When You said, 'Seek My face,'
My heart said to You, 'Your face, Lord, I will seek.'”
~Psalm 27:7-8


We've been talking a lot lately about pursuing the Lord with an undivided heart and crying out to Him, and I think this verse continues in that theme.

Here the psalmist is on his voice before the Lord, crying out that the Lord might have mercy on Him.  He begs the Lord with everything in his being, desperate for more of Him.

Imagine this picture for a moment.


David.  On his face before the Lord.  Tears streaming unashamedly down his face. Passion dripping from his every word.

And then he waits.  David pauses his impassioned cry and simply listens.  And then it comes.  A still whisper.  A gentle peace.

"Seek My face."

Just three words.  But they breath out hope.  Behind those words lie a Creator Who longs for an intimate friendship with each of the precious men and women He has created.  "Seek My face," He says.  "Come and talk with Me."  "Draw near and become intimately familiar with My heart."

He calls.  He beckons.  This call was whispered to David, and it has been whispered in my own heart as well.  This summons is meant for each of us.  He wants to know you.  He wants you to know Him.  He longs to be your best Friend, your only desire.

This word here for "seek"means in the Hebrew "to seek, require, desire, exact, or request."   It implies a heart that runs to the Lord, leaving nothing back.  It devotes its entire being to this search and will keep on looking for the One it desires.

This call is for you and me.  Seek His face. Seek His presence.  “Set your mind and heart to seek the Lord your God” (1 Chronicles 22:19).

How do we do this?  We must spend time with Him.  We must get to know Him, to become intimate with every detail of His character.  We must daily meditate on who He is, for as we draw close to Him, He will draw near to us.  Seeking His face means spending time before the Lord in prayer.  Approaching His throne of grace with a pure heart and seeking to learn from Him.

And as we respond, "Your face Lord will I seek," we will find something and Someone greater than our hearts could ever have imagined. We will find that our lives are completely transformed as He becomes greater and greater and everything else fades into the background.

God is inviting you to seek His face.  Will you respond?


Will you answer, "Yes, Lord!" And really seek to know Him?  Will you spend time in the Scriptures seeking to know Who He is?  Remember that if you seek, you will find (Matthew 7:7).  Will you seek the face of your Savior?

2 comments :

  1. Lord O my God..
    I seek not just your face, but your passion, and compassion for others..for I have fallen from grace, and have came so unhappy with myself! My precious family are very supportive and I thank them, and love them very much! I wanted to share this story with the precious people who are sharing the wonderful "Words of Ministries" thank you and may our precious Lord Jesus Christ..bless everyone! In his gracious, name, Amen πŸ™πŸ‘ΌπŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord O my God..
    I seek not just your face, but your passion, and compassion for others..for I have fallen from grace, and have came so unhappy with myself! My precious family are very supportive and I thank them, and love them very much! I wanted to share this story with the precious people who are sharing the wonderful "Words of Ministries" thank you and may our precious Lord Jesus Christ..bless everyone! In his gracious, name, Amen πŸ™πŸ‘ΌπŸ’•

    ReplyDelete