Monday, September 28, 2015

Stand on Truth--Not Emotions

"Suddenly, I felt enveloped in a spiritual vacuum. “Lord, where have You gone? What have I said or done to grieve You? Why have You withdrawn Your presence from me?” My prayers, my expressions of worship, seemed to go no higher than the ceiling, there seemed to be no sounding board. 
I sank to the floor and quietly and purposefully began to search the Scriptures hidden in my heart . . . I quoted Numbers 23:19: “God is not a man, that He should lie . . . hath He said, and shall He not do it?” “Lord, I believe all that the Bible says. I do walk by faith and not by sight. I do not need to feel You near, because Your Word says You will never leave me nor forsake me. Lord, I confirm my faith, I believe. 
The words of Hebrews 11:1 welled up, unbeckoned, to fill my mind, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence, of things not seen.” The evidence of things not seen… evidence not seen—that was what I put my trust in—not in feeling or moments of ecstasy, but in the unchanging Person of Jesus Christ
Suddenly I realized that I was singing, “When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace.” I was assured that my faith rested not on feelings, not on moments of ecstasy, but on the Person of my matchless, changeless Savior, in Whom is no shadow caused by turning. ~Darlene Deibler Rose

Oftentimes the circumstances around us scream at us to deny our Lord--to doubt Him.  But remember, no matter what you are feeling, God cannot lie.  He does not change.  What He has promised He will fulfill.  That is a promise we can stake our lives on.

"Let God be true but every man a liar." ~Romans 3:4

No matter what is going on around us, remember Whom you serve.  Trust in Him, no matter what your feelings say.  The devil will try to plague your mind with lies--just as He asked Eve to doubt God's Word, so he will place questions in your mind.

We must not let our emotions control us.


"The difficulty is to keep a tight rein on our emotions. They may remain, but it is not they who are to rule the action. They have no authority. A life lived in God is not lived on the plane of the feelings, but of the will." ~Elizabeth Elliot

You MUST fight lies with TRUTH.


Know God's Word.  Memorize it. Hide it in your heart.  Just as Darlene quoted Numbers 23:19 and Hebrews 11:1 when the devil was placing doubts in her mind, so we must fight Him with Scripture.  Know God's Word and believe it with your whole heart.

God's Word IS true!


But will you believe it?  Will you stand on it? Will you place your trust in it and allow it to prove itself to you?

1 comment :

  1. This is a wonderful reminder. I especially like that quote from Darlene Deibler Rose. Her book is among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete