Wednesday, September 30, 2015

That I May Know Him

"But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead." ~Philippians 3:7-11
Do you and I count all things loss that we may gain Christ? Are we willing to sacrifice anything--food, sleep, entertainment--to get to know Him more? How desperate are you to know Him?

This is a message the Lord has really been challenging my heart with.  You see, it is through knowing God that we gain strength.  It is by knowing Him that we gain faith and confidence for the tasks ahead.  How can we trust a God Whom we do not know?  How can we love this Savior Whom we do not know?


Do you know that God delights to be known?  


He wants you to know Him!  Jeremiah 9:24 says, "but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”"  He wants us to know Him

Jesus outlined eternal life when He prayed to His Father in John 17:3: "And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent."

I'm not talking about simply knowing that you died for you and rose again on the third day. 


But do you really know Him?  


Do you know Him like you know your best friend?  Could you tell me the thoughts and desires of His heart?  Do you know His character like the back of your hand?  Does just the thought of Him bring a holy fear into your heart and an equally amazing feeling of love?

In times of trouble, do you rely on the knowledge of Him, or do you turn back again to your own fears?  Is your knowledge head knowledge, or heart knowledge? Does knowing Him change everything about what you say and do?  If it doesn't then you don't truly know Him.

The Hebrew word for "know" means "to perceive; know by experience; recognize, admit, acknowledge, confess; consider; to be skillful in the knowledge of."  It is so much more than just reading a couple verses on His mercy and "knowing" that He is merciful.


This is knowledge gained through time and experience.


Proverbs 3:6 puts it this way: "In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." This word "acknowledge" here is the same Hebrew word for know! Do you know Him so well that you acknowledge Him in all your ways?

I know I have a lot of learning yet to do.

"That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:17-19).

Did you hear that? Even just one of His characteristics surpasses all understanding!  Imagine learning His countless trillions of characteristics!


It is the study of a lifetime. But it is the most precious study ever.


I have been learning this week how Jesus is the Good Shepherd.  And let me tell you, that knowledge is so precious.  It has drawn me closer to Him in so many ways.

What about you?


Are you pursuing the knowledge of your Savior? Do you count all things loss to know Him Who is beyond comprehension?  Remember that although we can never fully know Him, what knowledge He does reveal to us will be beyond our wildest imaginations.  Are you willing to seek His face today so that you might get to know Him better?  He is waiting for you.

2 Peter 3:18 "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."

No comments :

Post a Comment