Monday, January 25, 2016

Meditate on Him

"I will love You, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
My God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies."
~Psalm 18:1-3

As I memorized these verses this morning, I was struck by their beauty and their expressiveness.  They speak such of the wonders of Who He is.

I could have merely read over these verses and continued on.  But I paused to marvel at their fullness.  The Lord is...
  • My Love
  • My Strength
  • My Rock
  • My Fortress
  • My Deliverer
  • My God
  • My Strength
  • My Trust
  • My Shield
  • The Horn of my Salvation
This is our God.  He is so beyond our greatest imaginations--so much more fulfilling than anything we could ever imagine.

It is so easy to get caught up in our day to day lives and forget the wonderful omnipotent God we serve.  We know, in our heads, that He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords--that He is the Lover of our souls--but sometimes the understanding slips from our heart and we fail to live our lives in light of all that He is.

We must set our hearts to seek the face of the Lord--through meditating on His Word.  His Word reveals to us the character of the Lord--for it is His love letter to us!  You see the verses above.  Maybe you recall other passages that speak of the wonder of all that He is.  

When you come across them in your daily Bible reading, do not simply pass them by. When you memorize them, do not simply internalize them and put them aside.  Rather think on all that He is. Mediate on the different aspects of His character.

The psalmist says, "I have set the Lord always before me" (Psalm 16:7).  Have you and I?  Is He the One in Whom my soul has its greatest delight?  Is He the one waking passion of our hearts?  Let us meditate on the wonder of Who He is.  Let us get to know Him better through pondering His Words to us--for it is through knowledge that love is allowed to grow. 

Meditate on His Word today, my friends.  Think on Him.  Abide in His love (John 15:7).  So that you might learn to say with all your heart, "I will love You, O Lord, my strength."

1 comment :

  1. How often I pass over amazing passages of Scripture without truly reading and ingesting what is being declared. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete