Monday, July 27, 2015

Ask, Seek, and Knock

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!”  ~Matthew 7:7-11 (emphasis mine)

Over the course of my fast from the internet (more about that here), I came to understand the truth of this passage in far greater depths.  This is not a “maybe” sort of thing, rather Jesus says that if you ask, seek, and knock, you will most certainly be rewarded.

This is a promise I heard proclaimed loudly as I read through the book Wresting Prayer, by Eric and Leslie Ludy.  They shared Scripture after Scripture that all demonstrate the power we have in prayer.  If we ask, we most certainly will receive.  They wisely pointed out how we may not always immediately see the answer to our prayer (and it may not be in the form we have most been expecting.  But the answer will come.  Our job is to keep asking (like the story of the persistent widow).  Their writings inspired and encouraged me in my spiritual prayer walk.

This is a promise I claimed as I prayed throughout the two weeks.  I have spent many hours in prayer during these last few weeks.  Prayer for myself, my family, and other needs.  It was tempting to become discouraged, as some of the requests seemed almost impossible to fulfill.  But I remembered this passage and chose to believe.  The Lord gave me faith, and then blessed that faith.

This is a promise I saw answered during my time with Him.  According to His great mercy, He lavished His “good things” on me, an undeserving wretch.  There were many times when I felt unworthy of the calling to which I had been called, but the Lord gently reminded my heart that those whom He calls, He also equips.  And, as I asked Him for wisdom and guidance, He gently equipped my heart so that I might be pleasing to Him.  He graciously whispered truths into my heart and lovingly guided my steps.

This is a promise I watching being fulfilled in a hundred different ways.  During one of the two weeks, I served at our church’s VBS.  I cried out to the Lord on many different levels for the various and endless needs of that time.  We say many ways in which the devil tried to attack us (spiritually and physically), and yet he always failed, because of the power of God that was poured out on the place due in part to the many prayers of His people.  I saw the Lord answer many different specific prayer requests throughout the week.  He truly was faithful!


And He continues to be faithful.  Although I have finished my fast from the internet, He continues to answer this prayer.  I encourage you all to ask.  Seek.  Knock.  And your Father who is in heaven will pour out His good things and manifold blessings on the heart that is willing to receive them.

1 comment :

  1. Thank you, Allison, for this powerful truth. I have been learning about this a lot lately, especially during my recent missions trip. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective! God is willing to give us what we need. We must only ask in faith.

    ReplyDelete