Wednesday, July 29, 2015

David: A Heart for the Lord

If we were to pick the person, aside from Jesus, who delighted in God’s law the most, based on what we can see through Scripture, it would probably be David.  In Psalm 119, David says that he delights in God’s Word at least nine times.  All the other verses in this amazing love poem speak of David’s love for God’s Word.  Over and over he exclaims, “Oh, how I love Your law!”  God’s commandments are ever with him, he thinks on them all the day.  

David’s love overflows for the precepts of the Lord, describing them as,
  • His delight (vs. 24)
  • His counselors (vs. 24)
  • Good (vs. 39)
  • Comfort in affliction (vs. 50)
  • Faithful (vs. 86)
  • Exceedingly broad (vs. 96)
  • Ever with him (vs. 98)
  • His meditation (vs. 99)
  • Sweeter than honey (vs. 103)
  • A lamp to his feet (vs. 105)
  • A light to his path (vs. 105)
  • A heritage forever (vs. 111)
  • The rejoicing of his heart (vs. 111)
  • Right concerning all things (vs. 128)
  • Wonderful (vs. 129)
  • Faithful (vs. 138)
  • Pure (vs. 140)
  • Truth (vs. 142)
  • Everlasting (vs. 144)
  • A great treasure (vs. 162)
  • Righteous (vs. 164)
  • Righteousness (vs. 172)
Even from this list, we can see how in love David was with the Word of God.  I believe a big part of this adoration was his dedication to spending time in the Word through memorization.  In fact, several times declares how he has placed (and will continue to place) the law of God upon his heart.

“I delight to do Your will, O my God, And Your law is within my heart.” ~Psalm 40:8

“Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.” ~Psalm 119:11

“I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.” ~Psalm 119:16

“My life is continually in my hand, Yet I do not forget Your law.” ~Psalm 119:109

“For I have become like a wineskin in smoke, Yet I do not forget Your statutes.” ~Psalm 119:83

“I will never forget Your precepts, For by them You have given me life.” ~Psalm 119:93

 “I am small and despised, Yet I do not forget Your precepts.” ~Psalm 119:141

“Consider my affliction and deliver me, For I do not forget Your law.” ~Psalm 119:153

“I have gone astray like a lost sheep; Seek Your servant, For I do not forget Your commandments.”  ~Psalm 119:176

David says here that although he is small and despised, although he has gone astray like a lost sheep, and although he has afflictions and has become as a wineskin in smoke, he does not forget the commands of God.  Why?  Because these are important to him, they, as he says in verse 93 are his life.  They guide him back to the path, they comfort him in his afflictions, and they bring him joy even in the midst of his rejection by man.

Notice Psalm 40:8.  
“I delight to do Your will, O my God, And Your law is within my heart.” ~Psalm 40:8
Because David delighted to obey God and to do His will, he wrote God’s law upon his heart.  We too should be memorizing God’s Word out of a desire to please Him through obedience.  Our yearning for obedience should come from a holy fear of the Lord, in such a way that we are willing to do anything, as long as we are in the center of God’s Word, including memorizing the Bible.

David’s passion for God’s Word poured forth in all that he did.  The Word swirled within his mind constantly, influencing the way he acted and the way he talked.  His love for God and obedience to His Word prompted obedience as David hid God’s Word in His heart.  What about you?  Are you a man after God’s own heart, willing to obey the Lord in this area?  Are you eager to develop a love for the word and an intimate relationship with your King by hiding His Words in your heart?

2 comments :

  1. i find it so hard to memorize scripture, i find it hard to memorize most things, so i often paraphrase but yes...i will try a new thing..thanks for this because i too thought of David today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, I understand your struggle, my friend! Memorization is not easy. But where there's a will, there's a way. The Lord can make the [seemingly] impossible possible! We must only ask Him. I encourage you to read a series on some practical memorization tips: http://theindwellingword.blogspot.com/search/label/Practical%20Tips

    And here is some more inspiration as you journey toward a deeper relationship with Him through memorization: http://theindwellingword.blogspot.com/search/label/Memorization

    May the Lord bless you as you hide His Word in your heart and learn to delight in the Scriptures, just like David did!

    ReplyDelete