Saturday, July 11, 2015

Fasting From the Internet

Greetings in the name of the Lord, beloved friends!

Several of you may remember last year, that around this time I took a break from the internet for a month.  The rewards of spending extra and undivided time with the Lord were incalculable! [Read more about that here

I feel the Spirit of the Lord drawing me once again away into an undivided time in His presence.  According to my schedule however, it will only work out for me to fast from the internet for two weeks.  Let me discuss a few of my reasons for doing so:

The internet can be a good thing, but oftentimes it is used as a tool of the enemy to destroy our time.  A fast of any kind is designed to break our lust for and dependence on that thing from which we are fasting.  So my fast from the computer is designed to break any dependence or lusting I may harbor for this earthly thing.

I compare the internet--especially social media--to sugary food (like candy).  After all, it is pleasant in the moment, but destroys your body on the inside.  As one spends more time eating this sugary food, the healthy things don't seem as appealing.  We only want to eat the sweet things instead of the morsels that are actually good for our bodies.  However, as we wean ourselves from the sugar-coated food and eat those things which are nutritional--like salad--those healthy things begin to taste better and better!  So it is with God and His Word.  As we wean ourselves off of the pleasures of this world and feed on Scripture, we will come to value it and long for it more and more!

So because I am fasting I will not be posting anything, or answering any of your questions for the next two weeks.  You are welcome to submit any comments/questions, and to fill out the survey of my book, but I won't be able to reply to anything until July 27th.


The Lord has invited us to pursue Him wholeheartedly.  He wants a deep and intimate relationship with Him more even than we desire one with Him.  And so, I invite you all to join me on an internet fast.  It doesn't have to be for two weeks, it can be as long or as short as the Spirit leads and your schedule allows.  Surely He is worth more than this internet.  Let us demonstrate that by pursuing Him instead of the empty things of this world.

I know it is easy to glance over something like this and not really think about it, so I encourage you to pause what you're doing right now and think about it.  Can you hear the gentle voice of your Lord calling you to abandon the things of this world and pursue Him?  Will you answer His call?

No comments :

Post a Comment